- Continental Hospitals Doctor revives a patient suffering from a spinal tumor which compressed the spinal cord due to inappropriate massages.
- High pressure and neck break massages from inexperienced masseurs is dangerous and at times fatal.
Stretching and pulling of muscles during a massage provides instant pleasure to the body; but an unregulated massage from inexperienced masseurs or unqualified physiotherapists could be dangerous and even be fatal!
Dr. Rajasekhar Reddy K, Consultant Neuro & Spine Surgeon at Continental Hospitals has revived a patient who faced the risk of permanent disability due to compression of spinal tumor that occurred due to unregulated or wrongly implemented physiotherapy.
A ……. year old person, …………………… from Warangal town approached a masseur for back pain and underwent a session of massage. Few days later, the patient started feeling weakness in his limbs, prompting him to seek medical attention. Necessary scans and tests revealed the victim was suffering from a benign or non- malignant tumor, which got compressed into spinal-cord due to unregulated physiotherapy and massage.
Commenting about the victim and the attention he received, Dr. Rajasekhar Reddy said, “After assessing the exact condition of the patient and the reasons for it, we have conducted a surgical procedure on the patient to revive him back. From the risk of a permanent disability, today the patient is back on his legs and has returned to his regular routine in life.”
“An individual suffering from any kind of pain opt for quick-fix measures instead of taking an evidence-based approach to cure. Instead of assessing the exact reason for the pain, one opts for a massage for instant relief. Such massages could provide an instant relief but could be doing great harm to the individual in the long run. Hence, it is important that one takes help of well- qualified medical professionals to alleviate pain; and not opt for instantaneous relief measures,” advised Dr. Rajasekhar Reddy.
Alternate medicinal practices could sometimes help cure chronic ailments; but it is imperative one opts for right diagnosis to assess the exact reason for the problem before deciding on the cure /he decides to take.
• Always take evidence-based approach to body pains
• Diagnosis mandatory before massage
• Approach qualified & experienced physiotherapists only
• Avoid extreme pressure during massage
• Avoid neck crack from barbers at saloons
• Be aware of health conditions before opting for alternate medicinal practices